situated in the north-west coast of Sardinia.This town which stands on the flat
land of Padrogianu, with its deep bay is the only natural harbour of the
Sardinian east-coast. Its ancient origins go back to the nuragic age; in days
gone by it was colonized by Phoenicians, Punics, Romans and Carthaginians. Due
to its fertile hinterland and its strategic position for the trade towards other
Mediterranean countries, Olbia became a rich and important town, as it is shown
by the remains of its baths, of the roman aqueduct and of the big public
buildings. This town, which went through a period of decay during the
vandalistic age, found again a new period of prosperity during the Middle Age,
when it became the chief town of the "Giudicato di Gallura" and was
During the XIX century it was called Terranova Pausania, then in 1939 its name was changed into its ancient romain name of Olbia. The ancient history of this town can be found in some remains of the punic necropolis, in the town walls and in the old baths.On evidence of this Middle Age town is in the romanesque church of S. Simplicio, which is fully made of granite and which keeps in the inside a really interesting collection of roman funeral inscriptions. In the historical centre it is also worth visiting either the XVII century church of S. Paolo, with its Gallurese style, or the example of ancient houses and buildings.
Nowadays, Olbia, which is called the "main entrance of Sardinia" has become a living tourist bathing centre, provided with every service and many beautiful beaches (Pittulongu, il Pellicano). This town is also a suitable way to easily reach the well-known turistic mediterranean resorts of "La Costa Smeralda", "Porto Rotondo", the island of "La Maddalena" and "Caprera", along with many important archaeological sites: the nuragic group of "Cabu Abbas", the holy well of "Sa Testa" and the giants grave of " Su Monte and S’Abe". Going along the Southbound road we can admire the stately island of Tavolara 600 metres high; beside we can find wonderful beaches with a crystal-clear sea. Olbia gastronomic specialities are those which are linked to the sea, but it also preserves those genuine products of the hinterland.
THE LA MADDALENA ARCHIPELAGO
Italian ISOLA MADDALENA, island, Sassari provincia, Italy. It lies in the Tyrrhenian Sea (of the Mediterranean) off the northeast coast of Sardinia. It has an area of 8 square miles (20 square km) and is the principal island of the Maddalena Archipelago, which includes the islands of Maddalena, Caprera, Santo Stefano, Spargi, Budelli, Santa Maria, and Razzoli. Its port, La Maddalena, is the administrative centre of a commune that includes all the islands. The harbour of La Maddalena was an important Italian naval station until its installations were destroyed by Allied bombing in World War II. Napoleon's forces had bombarded the harbour in 1793 without success, and Horatio Nelson made it his headquarters during 1803-05. The U.S. Navy's Sixth Fleet maintains a permanent support facility for nuclear submarines there. Fishing is the principal economic activity. A bridge and an embankment connect Maddalena with Caprera Island. Pop. (1987 est.) mun., 11,826